Week 1 of rehearsals and all is well.
I didn’t follow my own advice and the second piece, The Great Cookie Caper, wasn’t finished until … 1pm yesterday – leaving me with enough time to: print, drive to work, photocopy (very excited to find out photocopier could punch holes) and prong (my technical term for binding the scripts together with fancy steel prong things) the scripts before the students arrived.
However I didn’t bother with a read-through for the Juniors and Intermediates as it would, quite frankly, be a nightmare. Instead I got them on their feet and, with a little bit of shouting and clanging (literally) of cymbals, marched them through the first scene.*
The picture shows the movement plan for some of the actors for 1/3 of a scene. Complex? A little. Hence why I did the pretty picture. I was actually using that pretty picture as a procrastination tool to not write the script, thinking it would make the writing of the script easier – which it would have, had I had more time to write.
The second half of last night went exceptionally well. Three scenes blocked out. If only I had more time. I feel light years ahead of where I was this time last year (for last year’s “end of year production”) but I’m still regretting not starting sooner. Oh well – I’ll do better next year!! Hmmm. What to write for next years shows.
As I fell into bed last night I gave myself a little pat on the back. I’ve written 5 plays now (of varying lengths) – being a playwright was one of the (many) things I wanted to be when I grew up. Looks like I’m making steps in that direction …
* BTW, the clanging of cymbals is not part of the scene, just an ingenious way to get them to *&%^ up.